Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Long Haul!

I get clients all the time asking me.... now if I commit to you, are you committed to me? You don't plan on going and getting a full-time job anytime soon are you?

NOOOO!!!! I am a freelancer, technically, but I am striving for a full-time business and am in it for the long haul. I think freelancing/business owner is such a gray area when it comes to artists. I don't view my position as a freelancing one and am submerging myself into the business world. My business is all that I do, well, except for hanging out with my most adorable kiddos!

I love what I do and that is why I do it. I feel secure working from home and there are many benefits from it, that if you are a business owner, you are already familiar with. Don't get me wrong, the kids drive me crazy sometimes when I am juggling them and work, but they are the love of my life, along with my husband, of course. I will not be looking to get back into the commuter lifestyle anytime soon. I enjoy my job too much and how many people can truly say that?

I absolutely LOVE the dynamic of clients I get, I wouldn't be able to work with a doctor, a caterer, a painter, a food additives and preservatives company, a pet cemetery in most other design jobs. Full-time design work tends to focus on one industry or one aspect of design. I thrive on variety and being in charge my my time. If I feel creative at 2 am, then I get to truck down to the office and work, I am not under the 8-5 pm restricted work hours. I can be creative, when I feel it flowing through me. Cheesy Huh? but that is the way it works, and I feel that I am a better graphic designer and listen to my clients much better because of that.

So to answer the questions of all those wondering out there, I am not planning on getting a different job. I am going into my third year of business and have worked way too hard to give up on it for any reason, plus when the kids are in school, work is going to seem like a piece of cake!

www.tashaleedesign.com • tasha@tashaleedesign.com

No comments:

Post a Comment